I’ve had an interest in technology since I first touched a Texas Instruments computer in 1985. I built my first website using HTML in 1997.
I’ve had a deep desire to do good in the world, which mostly happened working for and volunteering for nonprofits.
In 2008, I had the opportunity to manage my nonprofit’s static HTML website. That took off into holding a variety of digital marketing roles, including setting up email and social media marketing programs, content management and migration, project management, and being the staff technical lead while collaborating with external digital agencies.
I’ve also had stints freelancing part-time and full-time as a web developer specializing in WordPress.
My journey landed me in state government in February 2020, right when my skills were needed to help people get information right before the COVID-19 pandemic hit American shores. I have since focused on accessibility so that disabled people have the same access to information that abled people do.
Government Information Center, Delaware Department of State: February 2020 – present
I am a long-term contract web developer specializing in accessibility and WordPress. I have contributed code to a variety of websites, including:
- COVID-19 Information
- Governor John Carney
- Division of Small Business
- Delaware City
- Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families
Additionally, I am the web development accessibility lead and have implemented auditing and remediation practices. I have also added automated and manual accessibility checks as part of my team’s development practices.
Dudnyk: September 2019 – January 2020
I was a contract front-end developer for this pharmaceutical marketing agency, and this was my first job on a team with other developers. I primarily built static HTML websites, HTML emails, and Google banner ads. I added cross-browser and cross-email client compatibility testing to my skills using Browserstack and Email on Acid.
Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia: January 2017 – September 2019
This was my first full time non-freelance role as a professional developer with WordPress.
I started as the technical project manager for the redesign and development of the website done by an external agency. Once launched, I became the solo website developer and email marketing manager.
My accomplishments include:
- Created a marketing reporting system that integrated website, email, and social media marketing data from a variety of sources
- Implemented an event calendar and registration system for hundreds of events each year
- Configured the Gravity Forms plugin to collect donations and integrate with the existing payment processor
- Built responsive email newsletter templates using Foundation for Emails
Full-Time Freelancing: June 2016 – January 2017
I had used WordPress on personal projects and freelance work on the side starting in 2012. I wanted to become a full-time professional developer, so I took the leap and went into business for myself as a full-time freelancer.
- Did contract customer support for an agency who built off-the-shelf WordPress themes and custom sites for clients using the Genesis Framework
- Did contract post website launch maintenance work for a health and wellness company
- Helped a membership association with maintenance for a newly-launched WordPress multisite network website
- Learned Bootstrap and Git version control
PMI Educational Foundation: March 2007 – June 2016
This was the first job where I had marketing and technical responsibilities. I managed and made edits to the static HTML website.
When the website was redesigned and redeveloped in Sitecore CMS, I was the content migration lead and staff technical expert. Once it launched, I became the content manager for it.
- Set up organizational social media accounts on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Set up Constant Contact and built email newsletter templates
- Set up Google Analytics and configured regular marketing reports for leadership
- Built and managed online scholarship applications as well as the customer support process from application to evaluation to the awarding of funds