Hi, I’m Andy. I’m based in Philadelphia, PA in the United States. I’m a husband, cat-dad, DJ, runner/cyclist, and professionally, a web developer specializing in accessibility.
I’ve considered myself in the “tech for good” space since I started doing tech work in the nonprofit world in 2008. My current role in government allows me to continue using tech for good and building more equitable and accessible societal structures.
I started working at the Delaware Department of State one month before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, so I’ve gotten to use my design and development skills to really make a difference in people’s lives during a global crisis.
Government Information Center, Delaware Department of State
February 2020 – present
I am a long-term contract front-end developer and digital accessibility specialist. Projects include:
- Delaware State Website Accessibility Transformation
- Delaware COVID-19 Website
- Delaware City Website
- Delaware State WordPress Website Gutenberg Conversion
September 2019 – January 2020
The Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia
January 2017 – September 2019
This was my first full-time role as a professional developer.
I was the technical project manager for a website conversion from Drupal to WordPress and the lead developer and email marketing manager once the new site was launched.
- Configuring Gravity Forms to use for event registration and donation forms
- Building a digital annual report in Zurb Foundation and responsive email newsletter templates using Zurb Foundation for Emails
- Setting up Google Analytics and configured regular marketing reports for executives
- Setting up email templates and marketing funnels in HubSpot
- Implementing git version control using Bitbucket
June 2016 – January 2017
I wanted to become a full-time professional developer in the WordPress space, so I took the leap and went into business for myself.
Ultimately, I had to close my doors after seven months due to the operation not being financially sustainable. However, I did accomplish the following:
- Did contract customer support for an agency who built off-the-shelf WordPress themes and custom sites for clients using the Genesis Framework
- Did contract post website launch maintenance work for a health and wellness company
- Helped a membership association with maintenance for a newly-launched WordPress multisite network website
- Learned Bootstrap and git version control using Beanstalk
Project Management Institute Educational Foundation
March 2007 – June 2016
This was the first job where I had marketing and technical responsibilities. I managed and made edits to the static HTML website.
When the website was redesigned and redeveloped in Sitecore CMS, I was the content migration lead and staff technical expert. Once it launched, I became the content manager for it.
- Set up organizational social media accounts on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Set up Constant Contact and built email newsletter templates
- Set up Google Analytics and configured regular marketing reports for leadership
- Built and managed online scholarship applications in Formlogix, Wufoo form builder, and CommunityForce